Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Planning a Life-giving Christmas - 2

December 15th already. How did that happen. A quick update on my Life-giving Christmas...

- We built/decorated a gingerbread house with CJ. I ended up buying a pre-built house from Costco so all we had to do was decorate it. It was actually fun without all of the frustration of trying to get the house to stay together. Frank ended up doing most of the work while CJ was eating the decorations. But all in all it was a good family activity and it created a home-made decoration that we can enjoy throughout the holiday season.

- Friend Christmas Party - We kind of threw this together this year but we ended up having a really good time. Matt and Missy weren't able to make it because Dylan was in the nutcracker. It's been forever since we've seen them. Kevin and Leesa were on a family vacation in Florida, we missed them and hope to see them soon. Blair and Jamie are in Montana and I knew they wouldn't be able to make it, but they called just after the party started so they were able to have a presence in the only way that they could. I can't wait for them to come home for Christmas so that we can see them and Whitlee. Das and Sue were able to make it even with their little one-week old Logan. Joe and Kelly, Jeff and Kristi, Ben and Heather, Mike and Melissa all came. It was so great to see everyone and talk and laugh and have fun without chasing kids around the house. We are so thankful for all of our friends and are glad we were able to share some holiday spirit with them.

- Daily advent calendar - well, this has been hit and miss. We have been opening the chocolate calendar every morning with CJ. He is excited to open it but doesn't like the candy. Perfect! We have been trying to stay on top of the other calendar but can't seem to keep CJ's attention long enough. Something tells me that this will play a bigger role when the kids are older.

- CJ's school did a Christmas program last Sunday. I had fully expected CJ not to participate since he's kind of shy. All of the 2 year olds were little drummer boys (and girls) and they played the drums that they had made at school. He did such a great job and actually stayed up there with the class. Even though it was really not a big deal, I was very proud of him and got a little teary eyed.

- Kristi gave CJ a Little People Nativity. He is really enjoying it and getting to know all of the characters in the story. They have each had a turn in the position on the roof. I read him "The First Christmas" story earlier today, I guess I should try to read it to him and we can use the characters to act out the story.

- The annual cooking baking day with Anna Marie and my mom. It's usually a kind of stressful day that I don't necessarily look forward to. This time it was actually fun and we finished at a reasonable time. And the cookies turned out very yummy.

I still need to work on some of the things on my list. I think we might actually try to take the boys to see Santa some time this week, although I'm really nervous about this one. Frank and I are afraid of crouds so we aren't looking forward to lines of people and whiny kids, but we'll see. This wasn't on my bucket list because it's not that important to me. But, if it makes CJ and Alex smile then it will make me smile too.

No comments:

Post a Comment