Friday, April 12, 2013

4/12/2013

I wish I could understand why people think the way they think.  Since when is trying to impose rules a bad thing?  There are rules everywhere...we impose rules for our children, there are rules regarding driving, drinking, gambling, working, going to concerts, going to any public place for that matter.  I strongly believe that most rules are imposed in order to make the world a better place.  That being said, I certainly don't think that we should blindly follow what someone else tells us to do.  I don't think that our government is put in place because they know what's best for us.  I think our elected officials are in place to represent us...we have a voice through them, or at least that's how I think it should be.

So, for one example, we have rules in place for driving cars.  Why do we have to have a license to drive a car? And why are there other rules about driving?  Because cars are big and powerful and can be dangerous.  I think we all feel a little safer on the road knowing that the other drivers are licensed to drive.  It's not impossible to get a license, it just requires time and effort, etc.

Guns are powerful and dangerous.  Should it really be easy to buy one?  I am not suggesting that we take away everyone's guns, but I think that imposing some rules is prudent.

I'm just so frustrated right now.  Why can't people see that rules can be helpful, why do they have to assume that the very extreme is going to happen?  I realize that sometimes it may seem like giving the government power is a slippery slope.  But I believe that it's OUR government, and our government was designed in such a way to prevent authoritarianism.  Maybe I'm naive, in fact I'm sure that I am.  But I really want to believe that we elect people who want what's best for our country (even if we don't agree with them) and that they are doing the best that they can to make that happen.  And yes, I believe that was true for the prior administration as well.

I realize that this is just a rambling of my thoughts and probably doesn't make much sense, but I had to get it out.  It makes me really sad to see people assume that the worst is going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment